Monday, December 8, 2008

Yes Man

Tonight, after work, I went to see the movie "4 Christmases" with Miles and Jen. It was funny, but it wasn't as funny as some of my friends said it would be. I wouldn't say I was disappointed... but I just wish it was funnier.

Well, one of the previews before the movie was the new Jim Carrey movie, "Yes Man." Basically, Jim Carrey's character is a guy that likes to say "no" to everything. One day, he gets dragged into a motivational gathering of some kind and the motivational speaker tells him that he's not living his life because he's always declining everything. So he challenges him to say YES to whatever opportunity is brought before him.

I find this a very interesting idea. An idea that I should think about adopting myself. Ok, so it's just silly to say yes to EVERYTHING... but it definitely wouldn't hurt to say yes to more things. Instead of defaulting to "no," maybe I can at least give more thought to a "yes" answer. For example, tonight, my friend from work left me a voicemail on my phone asking if I wanted to hang out with him and other friends from work at the beach for a bonfire. This friend who called me isn't a close friend and his friends aren't part of my circle of friends, so I would have kind of been the outsider at the bonfire. And knowing that, I defaulted to "no" and declined the offer. BUT, what if I had said "yes?" I would've gone to the bonfire and probably gotten to know him a little better. I may also have made some new friends while at the bonfire. But because I am 1) so complacent with my life and 2) too chicken to meet new people, I said "no."

Well, I think it's time to change that. If I don't change, I'm going to be stuck in the horrible rut that I'm in right now. If I don't change, then I will never turly live my life. So, as I write this blog, I am telling myself that I am making a conscious effort to change. I will take advantage of and say "yes" to as many opportunities as I can (as long as it doesn't break the bank or compromise my safety!). And who knows? Maybe by doing this, I can meet a guy! ;)

What do you guys think of this idea? Are there any specific moments in your life that you said "NO" to but wish you had said "YES?"

7 comments:

Lightning Baltimore said...

When the incredibly beautiful, sweet and funny boy I had a crush on in HS asked if I was gay.

:-(

Then again, AFAIK, he's straight (last I knew, he was living in Australia where he married a woman).

--------

Good for you for trying to change to a more positive attitude, BTW!

E said...

There are definitely times where I should have said Yes in my life, when instead I opted for the safe choice. I learned that there is a such thing as calculated risk. That is a large reason why I went out with my friends this past Friday. I had the opportunity to say no, but I decided that a yes wouldn't hurt. That night was exactly what I needed.

"nogive"
hmm...like nogive life a chance, no-get to have fun.

naturgesetz said...

I think you are exactly right to try to say "yes" instead of always defaulting to "no," and the party with the friend from work is a perfect example.

This is just the sort of thing we were talking about in the comments on your post yesterday.

Sorry I can't think off the top of my head of a "no" on my life that should have been a "yes."

Seth said...

I regret not saying "yes" to things at least once or twice a month, on average. For example the other nite, a chat room accquaintance messaged me, asking if I wanted to go to see the local orchestra in concert that evening, he had an extra ticket. Of course, being shy and anxious and all, I immediately said no and made up a bullshit excuse. (to be fair, he WAS asking me around 5:30pm for a concert that started at 8pm).

But, its often the case. Regret regret regret. Sometimes when the clouds part, you can see through the regret, and be able to accept the past, and know you can't change it.

On the other hand, sometimes when the sun shines, you can focus on the future, and be able to promise yourself to say "yes" next time.

After all, whats the worst that can happen, a few hours wasted?

:)

toloboid

Joie Mayfield said...

After my ex-boyfriend broke things off in August, I went through a pretty big depression, and I decided that I needed to spend time alone. People would ask me to do stuff, and I would say no. If I'd said "yes," then maybe I wouldn't be where I am. However, I try to accept things as they happened for how they were supposed to.

Great blog. :) I appreciate your optimism. It's definitely contagious. :)

Joie

dccised said...

but knowing me i would've felt terribly awkward at the bonfire and i would say the stupidest things and people would get the wrong impression of me and i'd have to jump into the flames.

so maybe sometimes saying no is a good thing.

Joshua said...

Yes.

:D