Friday, December 12, 2008

Being a Good Friend

I just got off the phone with Jon. He called me at 1:40am after his date tonight. We talked for a good 20 minutes, him telling me how the date went and everything that happened. I won't get into any details about his date and his situation, cuz it's none of my business to tell. But I do want to share how nice it feels that Jon thinks of me as a good enough friend to call me literally RIGHT after his date to tell me all about it.

Throughout my life, I feel like I've had many really good friends. I belonged to a circle of friends. But I never really opened up to them. And though I had one or two friends who I called my best friends, I feel like I never actually was a very good best friend to them. I mean, how could I really have called them my best friend if I never let them know who I truly was?

But now, I really think I can call Jon one of my best friends. After all, he was the very first friend that I came out to. And since then, we've been able to share a lot of things with each other. I've opened up to him about so many things and it's great to have someone that really knows me.. instead of the "fake" me that everyone else sees.

I'm happy to be there for Jon and I hope that he thinks of me as one of his good/great/best friends as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that you have someone you could actually be with and be who you REALLY are. I guess everyone needs that kind of friend.

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

It's always nice to have a great support system and I am glad that you and Jon are very close. I think you could call him your best friend for the mere fact that he called you so late to tell you about his date. Remember it is very hard to find good friends so appreciate all you have with Jon. As for the "fake" you don't even worry about it. We all wear masks and don't like people to see the real us.

jay.osa said...

to me it has been very good/important to have one true friend. when we are together i can feel the weight of the world lifted off of me.

jay

Joie Mayfield said...

I'm not sure if you've read my first Fireside Chat on my blog, but it talks about how I came out, then I thought I wasn't gay, so I went back into the closet. I contacted all my old friends who I felt were "disappointed" with my coming out and apologized. They embraced me and loved me. Now that I realize that I'm not that person, but I'm a homosexual, I realize how hurtful my "best friends" are. When I needed them as a homosexual, they weren't around. When I conformed to their idea of normality, I was welcomed and loved. I've never really had great close friends (a couple), but I'm very happy that you have Jon on your life! :) Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

Joshua said...

Wow I'm like the same exact person. I used to belong to a group of friends, but as we got older (not by much), all four of us drifted in our own direction, fueled mainly by our vastly different passions. But the four of us still have fun together, and now we've sorta added Girl Straight Best Friend. But now it's mainly me, Girl Straight Best Friend, and Gay Best Friend.

Gay Best Friend didn't call me after his date, or tell me anything. He waited to tell me face to face (I was mad at the time, but now that I think about it, face-to-face was better than him telling me over the phone...except that I gave him a shitass response). GBF has been among the most influential people in my life, and I'm glad Jon brings you the same amount of happiness and contentment and just wholeness that people like him can do.

:D

Brass Matt said...

There is nothing more important in life than being a good friend. It will give your life meaning during those times that you can't find any.

Look at me being all philosophical, go Matt!