Saturday, September 6, 2008

Coming Out

What a great night tonight. A few hours ago, I came out to one of my real close friends, JW. He's gay too, so in the back of my mind, I knew it would go well. But it was still pretty hard to do it. And I just felt it was time.

We were chatting on AIM for a while, and there was just an incredible segue that I couldn't pass up. It still took me a little bit to actually press ENTER and say to him "I'm gay," but I finally did it. Funny thing was he didn't respond for about 5-10 seconds and I was like, "Um... say something..." And he tells me: "Sorry, I was on Facebook." So I say, "Gee thanks... I come out to you and you're on Facebook." lol. I'm glad it was a funny experience. And he was cool about it, saying that he was in the same shoes not so long ago so he totally understand. So I just really want to thank JW for making it a lot easier than I thought it would be and for being an awesome friend. He even made me his default pic on MySpace in honor of tonight. haha.

And then we've just been chatting about anything and everything now for the past 3 hours. I'm happy that I did it and it really was a weight off my shoulders. I know I have a lot more people to tell, but I'm glad I made this first step.

4 comments:

Joshua said...

You'll soon find that coming out to your close friends is a really good experience and it makes you feel more like yourself. :D

midoriverdegreen said...

good for you, i think i might want to do that now.

Tris said...

I'm glad it was a pleasant experience!

Joie Mayfield said...

I first came out to a friend on AIM, too! It was the only way I could spit it out. I stalled actually doing it for a month. I'm so glad that I didn.