Monday, January 12, 2009

Teaching...

Hey, remember when I wrote that one blog about not wanting to teach yet?

HA... well, about 15 minutes ago, I submitted an application for a part time position teaching 9-12th grade Algebra at my former high school. I randomly went on the website (EdJoin.org) that teachers go through to search for teaching positions and randomly looked at my former high school's section. And when I saw that they had a part time position, I got really excited about it. That's exactly what I wanted. Something that doesn't take up all my time, since it would only be 3 periods a day, and a perfect way to ease into teaching. And it would only be the 2nd semester, which starts February 2nd and ends June 11th. And it's the subject I want to teach and the age group I want to teach.

Sigh... the only problem is I wasn't ready for this at all. The deadline for submitting this application was TODAY. This morning, to be exact. And I didn't have everything ready to be submitted. See, we have to scan our official documents/certificates and submit them as attachments. Well, I never scanned my official transcripts from UCLA or UCI. So I only have unofficial school records to send them. I'm pretty sure that's a deal breaker with them. I did email the contact person to explain the situation, and hope they'll understand and still consider me for an interview. Who knows...

Funny thing is, the contact person is one of my childhood friend's mom. hehe. I've known her since 1st grade, when I first moved to the US and started school here. We went through elementary school, middle school, and high school together. So I Facebook-ed her, and told her that I just emailed her mom. LOL. I didn't blatantly imply that she should talk to her mom on my behalf... but I hope she got the hint!!

Well anyway, wish me luck with an interview for the position... I actually do kind of want this!

8 comments:

Aek said...

Haha, way to go! I hope the mom isn't a hard-ass and will give you a "little" leniency this time. Good luck with an interview!!

I start "teaching" (or something?) tomorrow. O_O

naturgesetz said...

Good luck.

When I worked for the federal government, I decided that there are two kinds of government workers: bureaucrats, and public servants. The bureaucrats see their job as following the rules and holding everybody else to them. The public servants see their job as accomplishing the mission of the organization to serve the people in some way. (You can guess which I thought I was. lol) I hope your friend's Mom is a public servant.

jay.osa said...

good luck, it sounds like a perfect fit!

d said...

teaching sounds fun. but i've had some experience teaching elem kids. let's just say it was a normal thing for me to loose my voice and patience at the end of the day. it's so stressful. oh, but good luck. seriously. = )

Anonymous said...

a lot of times in looking for a job, it's not what you know, it's who you know. not detracting from your abilities, but it sounds like you have a good "in" at this job. best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice oppurtuinity and I hope you get the position maybe it will lead you to refocus on your career if that is in the cards for you

good luck

bob

Anonymous said...

Yay! I hope you get it Doug, I really really really do! That would be the best for you, and it would finally get you in the field, so to speak.

Joshua said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now you can stick it to your mother!! :D

Anyways, an unofficial transcript (in my opinion) should be okay since it's not as if you altered anything, but I mean, this is coming from someone who never had to submit a transcript anywhere...