Sunday, January 11, 2009

Doctor Who

Thanks to my good friend, Barry, I've been watching episodes of Doctor Who on iTunes. Just like me before I was introduced to it, I'm sure those of you who live in the US have NO idea what Doctor Who is. And for my European and especially UK readers, you're probably really excited that I'm writing about this! ;)

Well, Doctor Who is a SciFi TV show that's been pretty long running. They've recently (in the past 4 years) revived the show. It's about an alien man, the Doctor, who time travels around the universe, helping aliens along the way when help is needed. I guess, that's a good summary of it? I dunno. I'm sure someone else can explain it a lot better than I can... let me find something online:
(From Wikipedia)
Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as "the Doctor" who travels in his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, solving problems, facing monsters and righting wrongs.
So there ya go. It's quite interesting. It has the same sort of production value as Buffy the Vampire Slayer - lots of things remind me of it: the humor, the creepiness, the mysteriousness, the suspense. If anyone wants a new show to watch, I highly recommend downloading a few episodes!

10 comments:

Aek said...

Isn't Doctor Who on the Sci-Fi channel here or something? I remember a couple of my friends getting really excited over it. :P

D. said...

that's the one with John Barrowman right? and there was a kiss or two somewhere in there :D

JRC said...

its bloody doctor who.

and he finally eat a xmas dinner.

cant wait for the rest

we uk ppl make gd tv, good drama.

Lightning Baltimore said...

I don't think I could accept any Doctor other than Tom Baker.

Anonymous said...

dude, they carried the original series back in late 60's early 70's on pbs. along with the original series of monty python's flying circus. and yeah, it's playing on sci-fi channel locally, it may be dependent on the cable provider. kick ass show. especially on big screen

exalen said...

It's a very British show so it's cool that you like it, Seeing as how you're in the heart of the US culture machine - CA and Disney! lol

How many US shows would buy this concept for a space ship: "his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box."

Vintage Brit quirkiness! Love it!

*idont*

Anonymous said...

Love Doctor Who, took me a while to fully appretiate the how clever the show is though. It's got a good message regarding enviromental/global warming, human(/alien) rights and and they've sneaked in some gay issues and characters here there as well.

The 2005 revival of Doctor Who was created by Russel T. Davis who's also the creator of the British Queer as folk.

@David; John Barrowman's show is Torchwood, which is a spin-off of Doctor Who. Torchwood was created due to his characters popularity. He also have made guest apperances in all season of Doctor Who, except season two.

Barry said...

Haha, glad others like this show too ;)

Doug said...

Aek: yup! SciFi has episodes every once in a while.

David: gay kiss! WOO!

JC: Don't ruin any of the newer episodes for me! ;)

MrHCI: well, you're gonna have to get used to yet ANOTHER Doctor, they just announced the 11th Doctor to start in 2010!

Victor: yeah, I was surprised to hear that it started SO long ago!

exalen: HAHa, yeah, British humor is usually lost on me, but so far I'm enjoying it.

EM: Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to start on Torchwood once i'm done with Doctor Who!

Barry: YAY! Doctor Who!

Anonymous said...

i was hoping russell tovey would be the next Doctor, but not to be :( barrowman is in torchwood, a spin-off of dr who. that's a good show as well.

"myoghidi" - get your own oghidi!